'Search features' Link: 'Refinements' Tab
The Refinements tab allows for:
Refinements are a way to categorize sites by topics. You can create refinements that are then associated with sites listed under Sites to search in the Basic tab. By default, refinements appear as links at the top of your search results page (refinements can also be set to appear as tabs if Image search if turned OFF). Sites labeled with refinements can be given priority or searched exclusively when selected by a user. A maximum of 16 refinements may be added to the search results page.
Note that if using the YaleSites/Drupal 7 framework, the Image search toggle must be disabled and the Websearch Settings for Refinement Style must be set to TAB in order for your Custom Search engine to display refinements properly.
(Currently unavailable) Google Custom Search also allows for refinement faceting. While not true faceted searching, this option provides percentage information for the top three refinements with results containing the query (see Enable refinement result percentages).
- From the Refinements tab, click the Add button to open the Add refinement dialog.
- (Required) In the Refinement name field, enter the name to be displayed for the refinement.
- Beneath How to search sites with this label select to Give priority to sites with this label (include results from sites not labeled with the refinement) or Search only the sites with this label (do not include results from sites not labeled with the refinement).
- (Currently unavailable) The Facet Refinement toggle can be used to include (ON) or exclude (OFF) the refinement in facet percentage results if one of the top three refinements with results containing the query (default setting is OFF). Note that facet refinement may only be turned ON when the Optional word(s) field is not used.
- The Optional word(s) field can be used to add terms to the search query.
- Click OK to save the refinement.
- From the Refinements tab, select the checkboxes for the refinements to delete and click the Delete button.
- In the Delete record dialog, click the OK button.
This option allows for specifying the maximum number of top refinements labels to be displayed at the top of search results. If the display of refinement links is limited to a maximum number, the refinements with the top percentage of results will be displayed.
- From the Refinements tab, use the Max top refinements to show for a search dropdown menu to select All (default), None, or the maximum number of refinements (i.e., 1, 2, 3, etc.).
Google Custom Search also allows for refinement faceting. While not true faceted searching, this option provides the percentage information for the top three refinements with results containing the query.
Note that this option must be enabled using both the Refinement menu Enable Facet Search toggle and the Facet Refinement toggle within individual refinements.
- From the Refinements tab, use the Enable Facet Search toggle to enable (ON) or disable (OFF).
(Note Facet Refinement must also be enabled/disabled individually for selected refinements.)