Converting a Box @ Yale account to a personal box.com account
This article describes how to convert a Box @ Yale account to a personal box.com account. Only Box @ Yale users who have recently graduated from Yale are eligible to use this service.
Personal box.com accounts migrated from Box @ Yale are free of charge, non-expiring, and provide 50GB of storage. You may optionally pay Box for additional storage and services; see https://www.box.com/pricing/ for details.
- Adding a non-Yale email address to your Box @ Yale account
- Transferring your Box @ Yale account to a personal box.com account by using the Yale Box Account Transfer Utility, available at https://boxtransfer.yale.edu/ybatu
- Setting your personal box.com account password
- After you transfer your Box @ Yale account to your personal box.com account, you will no longer log into Box via http://box.yale.edu, http://yale.box.com, or any other URL with "yale" in it. Instead, you will log in at http://www.box.com. In addition, you will no longer user your Yale NetID or Yale NetID password to log in; instead, you will use a non-Yale email address as your username, and a new password.
Step 1: Check your storage usage and remove data, if necessary
1b. In the Account Information section, check the Storage (used/total) line. If the "used" amount (the number on the left) is less than 50 GB, proceed to Step 2, "Add a non-Yale email address to your Box @ Yale account", below.
1c. If the "used" amount of your storage exceeds 50 GB, you will need to remove some data from your account. Personal Box.com accounts available through this service have a quota limit of 50 GB.
- Near the upper right of your browser window, click on the Files icon (which looks like a folder) to see all of the files in your Box At Yale account.
- Identify the files and folders that you are willing to remove from your account. Download these items to your hard drive (so that you don't lose them permanently), and then delete them from your Box account.
- Please note that deleting items from your Box account is a two-step process:
- Deleting the item moves it into your Box account's Trash folder.
- You must then go into your Trash folder: above the file listing in your Box account, locate the words All Files, and then click the small triangle to the right of this, then select Trash. You will see your recently-deleted items here; you must now delete them from this location as well, in order to permanently delete them from your Box account.
- Important notes:
- If your use Box Sync, moving items out of your Box Sync folder (including moving them into the Trash or Recycle Bin on your computer) does not completely delete them from your Box account; it actually moves them into your Box account's Trash folder. Therefore, you must still use a web browser to complete the Box Trash-folder-emptying instructions in the paragraph above.
- Please be aware that, by completing the instructions in this section, you will permanently delete from your Box account the items that you select. If you don't want to lose these items, you should first download them onto your computer.
1d. Once the Used amount of your storage is less than 50 GB, you may proceed to Step 2, below.
Step 2: Add a non-Yale email address to your Box @ Yale account
Please note that you cannot associate an email address that is already associated with another box.com account.
2b. In the Login and Email Addresses section, click "Add more emails".
2c. Enter your non-Yale email address. Please note that you must specify an email address that is not already associated with another box.com account.
Step 3: Transfer your Box @ Yale account to your personal box.com account
3a. Log in to the Yale Box Account Transfer Utility at https://boxtransfer.yale.edu/ybatu.
Step 4: Set your personal box.com account password