Manual Email encryption is COMING TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2016!
In conjunction with your YaleConnect Office 365 account, email encryption provides an additional layer of security when members of the Yale community send email using YaleConnect Office 365.
Email encryption converts the message from readable plain text into scrambled cipher text. Only the recipient can view the message. This process also encrypts any attachments sent with encrypted messages.
How do I create an encrypted email?
- Using your YaleConnect Office 365 email account, in the beginning of the subject line of the message include the word encrypt with brackets around it: [Encrypt] or [encrypt]. For example, SUBJECT: [encrypt] Please review today
- Encrypting an email message will also encrypt any attachments included with the message.
How much does it cost?
There is no charge for the service, however, you must have a YaleConnect Office 365 account.
Where can I get help?
FAQs and other resources
- How to send a manually encrypted email using YaleConnect Office 365 - Word doc
- How to view an encrypted message on a mobile device (iPhone, iPad, or Android) - Word doc
- How to view an encrypted message from a desktop or laptop - Word doc
- How to determine what Yale email service someone is using
When do I use email encryption?
- You should use email encryption when transmitting confidential data to any email address that is not yale.edu or ynhh.org. EliApps (Google Apps for Education) is considered an external service provider. Other examples of external email providers include AOL, Comcast, Gmail, and Yahoo!
Important examples of confidential data that should be encrypted when transmitted by email:
- Social Security numbers
- Protected health information
- Clinical trial data
- Credit card numbers
- Grades for assignments and courses
- Trade secrets
- Disciplinary records
- Salary and tax records
Who can send an encrypted email?
- Members of the Yale community who are enrolled in the YaleConnect Office 365 email service.
- If you are unsure what email system you or someone at Yale is using, please see How to determine what Yale email service someone is enrolled in.
Who can receive an encrypted email?
How does someone open an encrypted email?
- A message encrypted by YaleConnect Office 365 is delivered to a recipient's inbox like any other email. It contains an HTML file attachment with instructions for opening and viewing the message.