Box at Yale
What is it?
Box at Yale is a file storage workspace which enables people to collaborate and share information. Box.com is a cloud-based file sharing and storage service and can be accessed through any device: desktop, laptop, phone or tablet.
Box at Yale makes it easy to upload content, organize files, share links to files and manage file and folder permissions. With Box you can collaborate with colleagues both inside and outside the University anytime, anywhere, from any device. In addition, accounts offer an ample 50 GB of document storage space.
Please note: If you have sensitive or confidential data, be sure to follow ITS guidelines regarding encryption and secure storage. For advice in choosing storage or a collaboration solution that meets your needs contact your IT support provider. Box at Yale has been approved by Yale's Information Security Office for 1-lock and 2-lock data; 3-lock data is not permitted in Box.com accounts.
Features of Box at Yale
- 50 GB of space per user. You can upload files up to 5 GB in size.
- It's easy to upload content, organize documents, share links to files and manage file and folder permissions.
- Collaborate on documents with colleagues both inside and outside the University seamlessly anytime, anywhere from any device.
- Uploaded files are private and not shared unless you share them.
- Maintains version history of your files. Prior versions (10 most recent) are accessible via the Trash folder. Deleted files are kept in the Trash folder for 30 days, you have the ability to recover deleted files/folders from your account.
- Free plug-ins and apps are available from Box.com for Box at Yale users and integrates well with Microsoft Office.
- Uses your Yale NetID and password to log in, the same way you do with many other applications and services at Yale.
- Box.com has been approved by Yale's Information Security Office for 1-lock and 2-lock data. (3-lock data is not permitted in Box.com accounts).
Who can use it?
Any member of the Yale community: students, faculty and staff with an active Yale NetID and a valid Yale email address are eligible to use this service. In addition, any Yale individual can share files with others outside the University.
- Upon graduation, students can be converted to personal Box.com accounts with the benefit of maintaining the 50 GB quota.
How much will it cost?
This service will be free to students, faculty and staff with an active Yale NetID and a valid Yale email address.
How do I get it?
If you already have a personal Box account linked to your yale.edu address, you'll have to re-link your existing Box account to a different email address.
Where to get help?
Helpful Resources & Training Materials
- Getting Started with Your Box at Yale Account (MP4)
- Box User Guide
- Box QuickStart Guide
- Approved Plug-ins and Apps for use with Box at Yale
- Box Customer Portal (video tutorials, tips, best practices)
Associated Policies & Procedures
October 17, 2014
October 17, 2014
October 3, 2014
September 26, 2014
September 19, 2014
September 17, 2014
September 11, 2014
September 4, 2014
Secure File Transfer Service (files.yale.edu)