ITS recommends that you are on campus when changing your password, if possible. Before changing your NetID password, follow the steps below that apply to you. Otherwise, your account may become locked and you will not be able to access any Yale resources.
- Identify devices where your password is saved and know what devices that you are currently logged into, whether on campus or at home.
- If you use a smartphone or other mobile device, go to your device's Wi-Fi settings and remove ("forget") the YaleSecure wireless network.
- If you use multiple computers, log off of all of them except one.
- Save your work and close any open applications except your web browser.
Yale NetID password must be changed at least once per calendar year. This includes primary and responsible NetIDs.
- Yale NetIDs and passwords are case sensitive.
- Passwords that contain a combination of numbers, symbols, and upper and lower case letters are much harder to crack.
- See the Guide to selecting good passwords (PDF) for advice on selecting strong passwords.
For more information about passwords, see the NetID Password FAQ.