Technology Operating Committee (TOC)
Comprising ITS Staff and representatives from the IT Partners, this group oversees projects, programs, budgets, external spending, and holds overall accountability for the day to day management of the IT portfolio of projects.
The TOC is led by the Director of Strategy and Portfolio Management and provides governance across the IT Project portfolio by ensuring that organizational priorities are aligned with the priorities identified by the Technology Initiatives Committee (TIC), monitoring portfolio delivery progress and removing delivery barriers. The TOC will serve as the gatekeeper for all IT projects through the management of requirements, the monitoring of project budgets, the approval of spending requests and project change requests, and the preparation of quarterly Portfolio Discussion Reports to the TIC as a part of the organization’s balanced scorecard.
The objectives of the TOC are to
- Align work and resources with TIC priorities
- Allocate project funding and make decisions about ongoing spending on capital projects
- Approve or deny project spending requests and change requests
- Resolve escalated issues and evaluate risks
- Advise and help remove obstacles to successful delivery.
The committee meets every other Thursday. Please follow this link to the committee calendar.
The TOC works closely with ITS leadership and staff as well as the TIC, two members of whom are nominated from the TOC.
The TOC oversees programs and the associated projects proposed by the TIC and approved by the officers.
The alignment, selection, and prioritization of the Portfolio is the responsibility of the TIC.The TOC informs the TIC when:
- There is a conflict with a particular resource that would impact the ability of ITS to deliver one or more projects
- Approval from the TIC is required when estimated costs are >$250K over the original program allocation approved by the Officers and the overall budget portfolio is affected
- Approval from the TIC is required for new project proposals >$250K
- Approval from the TIC is required for projects that will carry over into future fiscal years
- The TOC recognizes strategic issues or decisions that should be considered or reconsidered by the TIC
The TOC presents a Quarterly Portfolio Discussion Report to the TIC including details of:
- Pre-committed funds, committed funds, and actual spend
- Program and project status
- Newly proposed and approved projects < $250K
- Changes in original program allocation when the overall budget portfolio is not affected.
Faith Brown, Director, Strategy, Portfolio Management & Governance
Len Peters, Associate VP and CIO
Daniel Barchi, CIO, Yale School of Medicine, Yale-New Haven Health System
Michael Bell, Associate University Librarian for Administrative Services, University Libraries
John Eberhart, Critic, School of Architecture
Susan Kelley, Chief Technology Officer
Vijay Menta, Associate CIO, Infrastructure Services
Susan Monsen, Director and CTO, Law School
Joe Paolillo, Associate CIO, Medicine and University IT Partners
Karen Polhemus, Director, Knowledge and Organizational Management
Thomas Raich, Director of IT, Art Gallery
Russell Sharp, Executive Director, Office of the CIO
Brian Wood, Lead Administrator, ITS
ITS Supporting Staff:
Dan Powell, Strategy, Portfolio Management, & Governance